Pro Minneapolis Carpet Cleaning Helps Keep Salmonella at Bay

Posted on October 29, 2013.

 

One would hardly let an unsuspecting toddler pick up toys, much less food, from a dirty carpet. You can never be too careful when you’ve got young kids due to the possibility of Salmonella infection at home. To further illustrate the dangers involved, take this excerpt from Minnesota Public Radio which tackles a recent Salmonella outbreak that ravaged 17 states:
Continue reading…


Disaster Restoration in Minneapolis Still Needed Despite Fewer Fires

Posted on October 27, 2013.

If there’s a state that’s relatively safer from fires than anywhere else, that would be Minnesota. ABC 5 Eyewitness News reports on the latest findings by the Minnesota Fire Marshal Division: “According to the report announced this week, Minnesota has the 10th-lowest rate of fire deaths per capita in the United States – at .93 deaths per 100,000 people.” In addition: “State officials say devices such as smoke alarms and sprinkler systems have helped lower the number of deaths. Inspection and code enforcement programs targeting hotels, schools and other facilities have also helped.”

Continue reading…


Dredge and Dry: What it Takes to Address Water Damage in Minneapolis Today

Posted on October 26, 2013.

 

A recent Star Tribune article reports on the flood that hit a posh Minneapolis residential complex in the Elliot Park neighborhood as a result of a broken main water pipe. Prompt action averted what could have been more serious damage, although the lower part of the building was substantially inundated.
Continue reading…


Regular Carpet Cleaning in Minneapolis Can Help Keep Dangerous Mold at Bay

Posted on October 25, 2013.

 

A Star Tribune article dated October 8, 2013 covers the mold infestation emergency at a dorm house in the University of Minnesota. Mold growth inside buildings, particularly black mold, can be fatal for humans due to the high toxicity of the fungal spores. The mold infestation in the dorm was so severe that parts of the building were emptied for a thorough cleanup.
Continue reading…


Electrical Fire Prevention

Posted on October 3, 2013.

This blog has been updated. To see the new blog published on January 8, 2021, click here.

 

Electrical Fire Prevention

ServiceMaster offers several different services. One of the more well-known services we offer is fire restoration.  Some of the fire restoration cases we are involved in are caused by system failures; however several are caused by messy electrical wiring issues. About half of all residential electrical fires involve electrical wiring so it is important to make sure circuits and extension cords are being properly used. Below are common causes of electrical fires and tips to help prevent them.

Common causes of electrical fires:

  • Most electrical fires result from problems with “fixed wiring.” Such as faulty electrical outlets and old wiring. Problems with cords (extension and/or appliance cords), plugs, receptacles, and switches are some of the lead causes to electrical fires.
  • Older  light fixtures, lamps, and light bulbs.
  • Overloaded circuits, poor maintenance, and cords ran under rugs or in high traffic areas.

Tips to help prevent electrical fires:

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
  • Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately. Do not try to repair them.
  • Buy only appliances that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Major and small appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord. Unplug small appliances when not in use.
  • Replace any electrical tool if it causes any type of electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke/sparks.
  • Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection and have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
  • Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched by furniture, under rugs and carpets, or across doorways.
  • Extension cords are for temporary use only. Have a qualified electrician determine if additional circuits or wall outlets are needed.

ServiceMaster is always here to help you and your family. If you have any questions about our fire restoration or any other of our services please feel free to call us. We would gladly answer any questions you might have. /

Fire damage Fire damage 2


Get in touch