Did you know that more than 50% of American workers either eat lunch or snack at their desk? If you are one of the millions of people who enjoy a snack or a meal at work, you might change your mind when you learn that the average desk has 100 times as many germs than the average kitchen table!
If you thought that was bad, you certainly won’t like the following statistics about germs in the workplace:
- The average desk contains 10 million bacteria (400 times more than a toilet seat)
- The average chair, computer keyboard and mouse are home to 21,000 germs per square inch
- Office telephones can contain more than 25,000 germs per square inch
- Public water fountain spigots can have as many as 2.7 million bacteria per square inch
Other extremely dirty places in your office include high traffic areas and objects such as: microwave door/buttons, refrigerator door, vending machine buttons, elevator buttons, bathroom doors, break room sink faucets, and break room coffee dispensers.
With all these scary statistics, combined with the fact that the average person touches their face 16 times an hour, it’s no surprise that sicknesses can spread through the workplace like a wildfire. Flu viruses can live on hard surfaces for as long as 48 hours, and one out of three people go to work when they are sick, both of which further exacerbate the issue of workplace virulence.
Clean Up Your Work Space and Prevent Illnesses from Spreading
There are some fairly simple things you can do to lower your chances of catching an illness, while keeping things cleaner and healthier around your work space and office:
- Wash your hands often, especially when an illness is going around
- Keep hand sanitizer at your desk
- Clean/sanitize your own work space frequently
- Avoid eating at your desk
- Don’t be afraid to stay home if you get sick
While these things may be easy for an individual to do, having your office professionally cleaned can help everyone stay healthy and get rid of some of that bacteria you probably don’t want to think about.
ServiceMaster of Minneapolis offers a full range of office and commercial cleaning services including:
- Air duct cleaning
- Commercial floor cleaning
- Upholstery cleaning (great for lobbies and waiting rooms)
- Window cleaning
We employ a team of experienced professionals who are trained to look for heavy traffic areas where germs are often spread. Our commercial janitorial services can keep your office clean, which helps to reduce the frequency of employee illness and lead to increase morale. Employees who feel better often perform better, so investing in a professional cleaning company like ServiceMaster is certainly a smart idea! Call 612-354-5466 today to request your free quote.