electrical  outlet

 

There are signs of electrical fire before the fire breaks out. According to a new device that can help protect your home, Ting, there are five common signs before a fire would appear. Poor electrical wire services can cause electrical fires.  ServiceMaster in Minneapolis offers several different services. One of the more well-known services we offer is fire restoration. Some of the fire restoration cases we are involved in are caused by system failures, however, several are caused by messy electrical wiring issues. About half of all residential electrical fires involve electrical wiring so it is important to make sure circuits and extension cords are being properly used. Below are common causes of electrical fires and tips to help prevent them.

Common causes of electrical fires:

  • Most electrical fires result from problems with stationary or “fixed wiring.” These include faulty electrical outlets and old wiring. Problems with cords (extension and/or appliance cords), plugs, receptacles, and switches are some of the leading causes of electrical fires.
  • Older light fixtures, lamps, and incorrectly used light bulbs.
  • Overloaded circuits, poor maintenance, and cords ran under rugs or in high traffic areas.

Tips to help prevent electrical fires:

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
  • Replace all worn, old, or damaged appliance cords immediately. Do not try to repair them.
  • Buy only appliances that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Major and small appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord. Unplug small appliances when not in use.
  • Replace any electrical tool if it causes any type of electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out, or gives off smoke/sparks.
  • Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection and have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
  • Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched by furniture, under rugs and carpets, or across doorways.
  • Extension cords are for temporary use only. Have a qualified electrician determine if additional circuits or wall outlets are needed.

ServiceMaster is always here to help you and your family. If you have any questions about our fire restoration or any other of our services, please feel free to call us. We would gladly answer any questions you might have.

 

This is an updated blog.  The original was published here, on October 3, 2013.