close up of a decorated Christmas tree
Decorated Christmas Trees are lovely, but keep yours watered to prevent fire hazards this holiday season.

Holiday Fire Safety Tips from ServiceMaster of Minneapolis and the surrounding Twin Cities area. We are Fire Damage Restoration Specialists.

Decorations:

Holiday decorations are responsible for a surprising number of fires each year. Follow these tips to prevent an unfortunate holiday.

Be sure to keep your holiday decorations several feet away from all heat sources. Fireplaces, heat vents, and space heaters can be major fire hazards if precautions are not taken. Keep your items several feet away from any source of heat.

Real vs. Fake Trees:

If you use a real tree, check the water level every day. A hydrated tree is less likely to catch fire. Plus, a well-watered tree looks better for longer.

You can also check the needles of a real tree to see if the tree is hydrated. Broken needles and crispy needles mean the tree needs to be removed from your home.

If you are planning to purchase an artificial tree, look for “fire-resistant” on the label. Keep in mind that “fire-resistant” does not equal “fire-proof”. Keep your tree away from heat sources.

Holiday Lights:

Check string lights for frayed wiring or cracked sockets. Check all extension cords for fraying or exposed wires. Discard any damaged components.

Only string the recommended number of strands of lights together. Do not overload your electrical sockets.

Candles:

Keep illuminated candles within sight. Blow candles out before leaving a room. Or better yet, opt for flameless candles. You can even get scented ones. We like these ones!

Cooking:

Minimize distractions while cooking. The holidays are a busy time filled with distractions. However, cooking is a major source of house fires. Keep an eye on your food and you will be less likely to have a cooking-related fire.

Fireplaces:

Maintain your fireplace. There is nothing like a wood-burning fireplace to warm your hands and heart at this time of year. Over time, a substance called creosote builds up inside your chimney walls. Creosote is highly flammable and a very small flame can turn into a major fire in as little as thirty seconds.

 

We hope by following these guidelines your holidays remain safe and fire-free.

If you find yourself in need of fire damage restoration services, ServiceMaster of Minneapolis and the surrounding Twin Cities area proudly provides fire and water damage restoration for homes and businesses. Call us for dependable service from a local business. 612.213.3712

This is an updated blog.  You can click here to read the original, which was Posted on December 17, 2014.