This blog has been updated.  To see the updated version, click here.

Holiday Fire Safety Tips from ServiceMaster of Minneapolis and the surrounding Twin Cities area.

Holiday decorations are responsible for a surprising number of fires each year. Follow these tips to prevent a Lampoons holiday.

Be sure to keep your holiday decorations several feet away from all heat sources. Fireplaces, heat vents, and space heaters can be major fire hazards if precautions aren’t taken.

If you use a real tree, check the water level every day. A hydrated tree is less likely to catch fire. Plus, a well-watered tree looks better for longer.

If you are planning to purchase an artificial tree, look for a “fire-resistant” on the label. Keep in mind that “fire-resistant” does not equal “fireproof”. Keep your tree away from heat sources.

Check string lights for frayed wiring or cracked sockets. Check all extension cords for fraying or exposed wires. Discard any damaged components.

Keep illuminated candles within sight. Blow candles out before leaving a room. Or better yet, opt for flameless candles. You can even get scented ones. We like these ones!

Minimize distractions while cooking. The holidays are a busy time filled with distractions. However, cooking is a major source of house fires. Keep an eye on your food and you’ll be less likely to have a cooking-related fire.

Maintain your fireplace. There is nothing like a wood-burning fireplace to warm your hands and heart at this time of year. But over time a substance called creosote builds up inside your chimney walls. Creosote is highly flammable and a very small flame can turn into a major fire in as little as thirty seconds.

ServiceMaster of Minneapolis and the surrounding Twin Cities area proudly provides fire and water damage restoration for homes and businesses. Call us for dependable service from a local business. 612.213.3712