When you are running a business, odds are you aren’t lacking challenges and work to do, so why add cleaning to the list? Many offices will turn to professional services to handle this laborious task for them because you are guaranteed a quality job that is done right and meets your expectations. However, hiring someone is not always an option, so there needs to be a list of duties spread throughout the office for people to get done.
Having a clean environment is important for several reasons. By having one, you are not only making your area of business look better, but it’s also a benefit to your employees, customers, and even the building itself.
Reasons Why it is Important to Keep Your Office Clean
1. The Health of Your Workers and Visitors will be Improved
Colds, germs, and other illnesses can spread throughout the office like mad, and by keeping your building clean, you fight back and drastically reduce the spread of those germs. This will lead to a lot fewer people getting sick and keep your workers healthy and productive.
2. A Clean Office Improves Employee Productivity and Efficiency
When you have a messy workspace, your productivity levels can really take a hit. Employees are not able to be at their best when they are constantly surrounded by disorganization and clutter. This can affect many things around the office such as people having trouble locating items and files around the office, or knowing which documentation is current and up to date, and the list could go on.
When you are regularly cleaning your office, it makes it a more comfortable and pleasant experience around the office.
3. A Clean Office will Improve Customer Satisfaction
When people are visiting a professional setting, they expect it to have a professional presentation. Nobody likes to go to a place that is dirty and disorganized and can make them think lower of your business and can even turn potential customers away. On the other hand, when you give people a clean environment, people will get a good first impression of your business and feel more valued.
Office Cleaning Duties to Assign to Reduce Regular Office Mess
Organize Your Paperwork
When you have paperwork piled up around the office, it can make things look messy. It can also make for an unproductive workspace leading to people taking more time to find the documents and paperwork they need when the time comes. Some ways you can keep your paperwork neat and organized are the following:
- Storing your documents electronically will not only save you space, but can also save you time with the ability to just search the document’s name in your computer.
- Filing cabinets are a great way to keep your files in order. You are able to store and label your files according to their use and have a specific area designated for your files.
- Desktop trays are another good way for you to keep certain documents around for quick access if you need them. This way you are able to know exactly where it is and will not have to worry about searching through an entire pile.
Disinfect the Restrooms.
As much as nobody wants to do it, it is necessary to keep the restrooms clean and sanitary for both employees and customers. Restrooms are a highly visited area that should be cleaned every day.
- Sweep and mop the floors (especially around the toilets)
- Wipe down the sinks and counters with a disinfectant cleaner
- Scrub down the toilets with a disinfectant cleaner and toilet brush. Be sure to wipe down the seats, lids, and the outside of the toilet as well with a disinfectant cleaner to keep things feeling fresh. Make sure you do not skip this stage, as things can build-up fast.
- Make sure you do not forget to refill the soap dispensers, paper towel holders, and especially the toilet tissue rolls (it could really make things awkward if you forget this one).
Give Your Electronics a Longer Life by Keeping Them Dust-Free.
Electronics are expensive, which means that we should do everything in our power to extend the lifespan of these tools that we have.
- One way to do this is by using a duster to blast dust off and out of places like your keyboard keys, vents, phones, and fans.
- Wipe down your electronics with a damp rag with some disinfectant spray to keep the germs away.
Clean the Break Room.
Since the break room is where all the food is prepared and stored, having a clean break room is a necessity for the health and safety of your employees. It is also a good thing for your employees to have so they can have a spot to go to enjoy their break instead of going to a place that grosses them out.
- Be sure to keep your refrigerator clean and organized. You can do this by making it a point to throw out the old and expired food and condiments lurking in the back of the fridge. Be sure not to forget to wipe down the interior of the fridge with a wet rag and disinfectant.
- Spray down countertops, sinks, chairs, tables, and shelves with a disinfectant spray and wipe them down.
- Clean out the inside of the microwave with a wet disinfecting rag, which should be a part of your daily cleaning routine. A messy microwave is a frequent occurrence in the office because nobody is willing to clean it out leading to hardened messes that make it difficult to clean.
- Clean the drain every day so you do not end up with any mold or mildew in the sink.
- Be sure to wash any dish towels and rags regularly and replace sponges and dishwashing items.
Empty Waste Baskets Daily.
Emptying your garbage cans every day is a great way to be sure your office doesn’t smell like yesterday’s lunch and keeps things smelling fresh.
Keep Your Public Area Presentable.
This is a must if you have clients that are visiting the office area. It is going to be the first impression they get of you and your business and can leave a lasting effect on how they view you professionally.
- Be sure that your chairs are free of dust and crumbs
- Keep your magazines and reading material up to date
- Keep the floors mopped, vacuumed, and free of spills and stains
Follow these duties and you are sure to keep your office space looking and feeling better for you and your customers. If you decide to hire out your cleaning services, give ServiceMaster a call. Our commercial cleaning technicians have extensive experience and must go through an extended screening and hiring process and use top of the line equipment to get the job done. This way you know that your business will be presentation-ready no matter who is in the office